3.14.2011

Food Journal: Day Six

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm pretty happy with how I ate today!  I managed to get quite a few more fruits and veggies into my diet today.  I can always tell a difference in how I feel when I eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.  F & V's are living energy.  They get their energy from the highest energy source, the sun, and are passing that energy on to us.  They store the vitamins, nutrients and minerals that keep our bodies in optimum condition.  It's kind of like growing a plant.  Will just the sun and water keep the plant alive?  Yes.  But when you add nutrients and fertilizers, or give the plant supplemental lighting, the plant will thrive.  That's what f & v's do for the human body, they keep us in optimum condition and help us thrive.  Start exploring all of the many f & v's out there.  You'll be surprised at how many you haven't tried and how delicious they are!  Eating them raw will be to your advantage, but if you must cook or steam them do so only slightly so that they hold their nutritional value.  I will be highlighting my favorite f & v's in the future and how to best prepare them.  Until then, I hope this food journal can offer some guidance.

Be Strong~Be Powerful~Be Focused

Monica


I actually had to run out of the house this morning without eating anything because I had an appointment in town.  But as soon as I was done with my appointment, I headed straight to my favorite Greek spot for a lamb gyro on a whole wheat pita with brown rice, tzaziki sauce, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions.  



And I couldn't resist a cup of coffee with peppermint mocha creamer when I got home. :)


My boyfriend made me a smoothie that had banana, orange, strawberries, vanilla yogurt, ground flax, apple juice and ice.  Smoothies are a great way of getting in your full load of fresh fruits and vegges throughout the day!


Later at the shop, I had a Healthy Choice Fresh Mixer--Roasted Red Pepper Penne.  Not great but not bad.  You know how I feel about these things.


My boyfriend and I split my leftovers from last night.  The salad was too wilted to eat, but the Penne Massimo was amazing, even reheated.  I'm starting to see a pattern with all of my pasta meals...look forward to healthy pasta recipes in the near future!

 I definitely needed a big green salad to help me digest the pasta I just ate all afternoon, so I made a large green leaf lettuce salad topped with carrots, tomatoes, hardboiled egg, raw natural almonds, dried cranberries, croutons and lightly tossed with Caesar dressing.

I finished the half a package of Red Vines from the night before and...


...ate another oats 'n dark chocolate granola bar.  Not too bad with the sweets tonight, even though I could probably stand to cut down a little...




No comments:

Post a Comment