5.30.2011

Hiking in Washington is One of My Favorite Things!

Our Trail

Hi Philosophers!

I have had an amazing couple of days!  The sun has been shining here in Washington (Thank God!) which means my workout schedule changed last week!  Saturday and Sunday turned into hiking days instead of workout days.  Hiking is one of my favorite things to do, especially here in Washington.  For those of you that have been here during our summer months, you know what I mean.  Washingtonians put up with nine months or rain for a reason: our summers are to die for.  Everywhere you turn, there are lush rain forests, salt water, fresh water, fishing, hiking, four-wheeling, boating and so much more.  I live on a peninsula, so beauty is no more than 5 minutes from my front door in any direction.  The air is the cleanest I've ever breathed, the temperature is a perfect 65-70 degrees, and greenery and water are everywhere.  I know I'm gushing, but I love living here.  And when the sun comes out, nothing compares. 


Loki and Marley enjoying a day at the park.

A big dog and a big tree.

On Saturday, I took two of my dogs, Loki and Marley, to a new park in the area and we walked the trails.  On Sunday, I hit up another trail with my dog, Lola, and good friend, Jesse.  We played in the woods for a good four hours!  We walked existing trails, blazed new trails, climbed trees, explored, and walked along the water.  I felt like a kid again.  Then when I got home, I went out on the quads with my neighbors.  We have great trails behind our neighborhood, so we were riding FAST through the brush.  I was almost thrown off once....oops...but managed to hold on tight.  Quads really work your inner thighs, core and arms.  Between all of the physical activity and fresh air I got yesterday, I'm feeling on top of the world!


Lola's very first swim! 

Now she loves the water!

So an important note about future workout schedules during the summer months:  I will be planning many more outdoor activities and workouts.  However, even in the summer months, our weather can be tempermental.  Experienced Washingtonians know that you should always carry sweatshirts (even on the warmest days), and that rain can come out of nowhere.  Locals don't carry umbrellas, though.  Those are for sissies and tourists. ;)   Don't be surprised, either, if I spontaneously decide to go hiking or do something outside instead of doing a planned workout.  You have to grab the great weather when it comes around here.  Even waiting a few hours can make a world of difference in my neck of the woods--rain turns into sunshine and sunshine turns into rain very quickly.


Me, climbing a fallen tree.  Lola followed me up there too!

I'm posting some of the pictures from my hikes this weekend.  I'll post more on PhilosophyFit's Facebook page.  You should be my friend. :)  I hope you all are enjoying YOUR summer, where ever you may be.  This is the time of year when our hard work pays off.  This is the time to get active and use all of those muscles we've been building.  Get outside in the fresh air and enjoy! 

Happy Memorial Day!
Monica

 A mini-waterfall we found.

The view as we are coming out of the forest to the cove. 
So lush and so green...

The beach, our reward after a long hike. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment