5.26.2011

All About Glutes and Legs!

This is where I played with the dogs and did my frog jumps and walking lunges.


Hi Philosophers,

This bug has a steel grip on me and it's not letting go without a fight!  I had another day of feeling poopy, and I almost didn't work out.  I had zero motivation...again.  But I told myself I should at least go on a walk.  I needed the fresh air and my dogs needed the exercise.  So Marley, Lola and I set off on the trail behind my house.  There is a salmon hatchery and a creek back there and I let the girls loose to run in the water.  They chased sticks I threw and dug up rocks and swam.  They had so much fun and it lifted my spirits to watch them. :)  After they played for awhile, we walked some more and as the fresh air filled my lungs and the blood started flowing, I felt like getting some moves in.  Luckily, I had my Gymboss timer with me so I decided to do a couple Tabata rounds.  Since this is glute and legs day, I did two exercises that hit all of the muscles in your legs: the walking lunge and the frog jump.  After 8 minutes of those two exercises my legs were rock hard and had reached complete burnout.  I challenge you to do this routine today.  It is only 8 minutes long and if you throw in a walk or some jump rope, then you have the perfect workout.  By the way, I have one more tip for motivating yourself to workout: Do something you like!  If you look forward to your workout, then you are more likely to do it, plain and simple.  My day today is proof of that.

Stay strong, Philosophers!

Monica


Glutes and Legs Burnout
Set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 8 rounds of 10 and 20 second intervals.  Rest 10 seconds and do your exercise for 20 seconds.  Repeat for each exercise.

Tabata Walking Lunges

Tabata Frog Jumps


The Exercises

Walking Lunges
Start in a standing position.  Walk your right leg out far in front of you and kneel down so that your left knee is a few inches off the ground.  Make sure not to extend your right knee over your foot.  Now walk your back left leg up to your right leg.  Repeat starting with your left leg.  Continue walking forward as you lunge, alternating sides.

Frog Jumps
Start in a squat position.  Thrust your hips back and lower down as far as you can.  Aim for lowering your butt below parallel and make sure not to extend your knees over your toes.  Using your arms to build momentum, jump as high as you can.  Land as softly as possible in as low a squat as possible.  If you have the space, your can continue to jump forward (kind of like the walking lunge). 


No comments:

Post a Comment