4.09.2011

Yoga DVD Review: Healing Yoga For Aches and Pains

Hey guys,

I tried a new yoga DVD the other night: Healing Yoga For Aches and Pains.  I have decided to incorporate more yoga into my weekly routine.  I think yoga will be a nice thing I can do for my back, as well as compliment my HIIT/Tabata routines. 

I tried this DVD because of the title.  I suffer from aches and pains in my back on a daily basis, so anytime I see a way to heal my body I am up for trying it, especially if it is a natural approach.  I have done acupuncture and loved it.  I also regularly get massages and chiropractic adjustments.  These are necessary parts of my life, not luxuries.  Yoga is one more way to add to my all-natural pain therapy.

I would give this video 3.5 stars out of 5.  Although this DVD was very helpful, it is aimed at people in more pain than I am in.  Many of the poses are modified using a chair.  I didn't really like that the exercises were on such a beginner's level.  However, if you are a beginner, or if you suffer from more pain than I do, then this DVD is perfect for you! 

What I LOVED about this routine was the strong emphasis on using breath to manage pain.  They go through quite the deep breathing and relaxation routine (my favorite part of yoga) and are very effective at bringing you to your center, where all is calm and peaceful.  I will also say that although these exercises were not the least bit challenging the postures accomplished there purpose.  After the series of poses, I felt my entire body open up and feel alive, and my pain was greatly diminished.  That being said, I felt the urge to do more poses afterward (which I did) in order to feel even better. 

All in all, I did like this workout.  Next time, I will ditch the chair from the beginning and do the regular poses (which you must know, because they do not offer alternatives).  I will probably do this workout again, although it is not one of my favorites.  It will simply be a nice change in routine, especially on days when I'm already sore or in more pain than usual.

Hope this helped you in some way!  Take care!
Monica

Check out a clip of the DVD here:


No comments:

Post a Comment