4.16.2011

Keep it Fresh


Hi everyone!

If you have been working out with me, then you know that I have been putting you through some pretty rigorous routines.  If you aren't sweating and breathing hard, then you're doing something wrong!  You should be pushing yourself as fast and hard as you can while maintaining proper form to avoid injury.  I promise you that if you are eating right, and doing just these 3 HIIT/Tabata workouts each week that you will see results.  So if you are pressed for time, this might be the route for you to follow.  However, I encourage you to find other ways to be active on the days between these workouts.  I know that our lives are busy, believe me I know this, but when we are busy and stressed we need a heart-pumping workout more than ever!  Working out will drastically reduce stress (our society's greatest killer) and rid stress toxins from your body.  It will also give you an energy boost, get out aggression and frustation, and clear your mind.  

Your body needs to move!

Being active could mean doing another workout DVD, going for a walk, swimming, hiking, dancing, gardening, jump roping, running, yoga, boxing, taking up a martial art, rock climbing, joining a local softball team...find activities that you genuinely enjoy.  When you enjoy your workout, you are more likely to stick with it.  I, for one, love dancing, hiking, and yoga.  I love taking my dogs out on walks.  In the summer, it's hard to get me out of the lake.  The great thing about pursuing a more active lifestyle is that you start to enjoy more and more new activities.  Your body will crave the movement and you will find these activities (that used to be soooo difficult) more and more enjoyable as you become healthier. 


 What is better than getting out in the fresh air?  I am grateful to live
in a place as beautiful as the Pacific Northwest.  I won't take this blessing for
granted!  It's hard to get me to stay inside during the gorgeous summer months.
Hiking, fishing, walks with the dogs, swimming, boating...why would I be on my couch?


In the spirit of staying active on my "days off," I did one of my favorite workout DVDs yesterday: Personal Training with Jackie.  Although this is circuit training, she does not include plyometric moves like I have in my workouts, so Jackie's DVD is significantly easier.  Still challenging, but easier than my HIIT/Tabata routines.

That being said,  man are my muscles sore today!  You may be thinking, Monica, if your workouts are so challenging, why would an "easy" workout hurt you?  I'll tell you why.  Plyometrics work your fast twitch muscle fibers.  These are fibers in the mucles that are made for speed and agility.  Weight lifting and more static moves will work your slow twitch muscle fibers, the ones responsible for strength.  You need to work both your slow and fast twitch muscle fibers for better overall athletic performance.  That's why there is not one magic workout that you could do for the rest of your life and be okay.  Your body would get bored.  You need to continually challenge your body with new moves, with new workouts, all the time.  Keep it fresh.  Keep your body guessing.  Every workout should hurt.  You should always be using all of your mental powers to push yourself to your maximum intensity! 

So use the days inbetween my PhilosophyFit routines to work your body in a different way.  Stretch.  Walk.  Dance.  Breathe.  Always try new activities.  Don't let your body get too comfortable.  Use your body, or you will lose your most valuable posession: your health.

Take care of yourself today,

Monica

Here's a peek at my workout yesterday:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment